What a JOKE!!! If you live anywhere in upstate NY, I recommend not going with Orkin unless you ask before hand if they have a fogging machine that they can easily get their hands on. They did estimate at $100 cheaper than the local exterminators so we figured "Orkin is the big name" and we went with them.
They came out two weeks ago for the first time. It was a Friday. The guy who came had just graduated College so he was young, but he was really nice. He told us that they had this great machine, but since he couldn't get his hands on one, he would put some dust up in the holes, and 95% of the time it kills all of the bees. He applied the chemicals and told us that we should call him back in 2-3 days if we still saw activity and if that was the case then he would be down in Syracuse on Tuesday and he would get a machine and bring it back to treat our home again.
Later that day, we found 80-100 wasps in our basement which is actually our family room. Luckily, Bryan was home and he came and saved the day by sucking them up into the vacuum cleaner. We figured yeah the nest is gone we are good.
On, Saturday, we had an activity at our church and so we were gone all morning. I was supposed to join some friends for a girl's movie day, and I was excited for it because it is one of my favorite chick flicks (Pride and Prejudice the 6 hr. version). We returned home, and I went downstairs to get something and there were wasps EVERYWHERE!!! Literally. Luckily, they were congregating more around the basement window and so Bryan went down and began fighting them again etc. He counted 253 that day. We called Orkin and low and behold, they were closed on Saturday afternoons and they wouldn't be available until Monday. BOTHER!!!!
All weekend, we suffered with wasps in and out of the house. Usually 10-16 and sometimes a few more or less. But, I wouldn't let the kids go and play down stairs alone because I was so paranoid.
Monday came along and I called Orkin again. They told me that they would get back to me with a date. They didn't call so I finally called back that evening, and they told me they were still trying to schedule a date... HELLO!!! Just schedule one I thought.... I can't remember if the guy who did the treatment called me that evening or the next morning, but finally they got back to me. I was told that he couldn't get a machine and so he would come out with a more powerful powder. He applied it once again and then left, and I was already skeptical.
So, last week was LONG!!! We had our appraisal and I kept praying that no wasps would fly down right when he was walking through. I don't know if any did or not, but we did find 6 right before he got there. I was so annoyed.
Through the week we had 1-3 each day and gradually we had fewer and fewer until we had 2 days of none and then finally this Tuesday we had 2 inside again and several outside. Because the outside was still VERY active 10-12 at a given time, I called Orkin once again and this time I wasn't as nice as usual. I told them that they needed to make it work because I had paid good money and I was tired of having wasps come near my children.
So, yesterday dawned, and low and behold Brad showed up, and he actually had a machine!! Miracles do happen!!! YEAH!!! He the hose in the holes for 2-3 minutes each and several wasps were swarming him. When he left, I took the last 2 cans of wasp spray that we had, and I went crazy on them. The cool thing is, we haven't seen any wasps since. Now why couldn't they have just done the job the right way in the first place?????? Oh my!!! So, my advice if you have wasps is to find an exterminator that has the fog machine and will use it right away. Oh, and have it treated when you see the first wasp!
1 comment:
I'm sorry! What a rough week for you! I hate even one wasp! I hope they are gone now! Hey, were are you going when you sell your house? I'm having a hard time keeping track of your schedule.
Love,
Megan
Post a Comment